Thursday 20 July 2017

July's moon and a big storm




July's Moon   acrylic on board 19x19cm   ©2017LisaLeQuelenec



Another moon inspired painting - trying to capture the beautiful hazy and subtle coloured rings that surrounded it. There is something very restful and calming about painting night scenes that I really enjoy.

This painting is available on Etsy at Seaside Studios UK.

Reproductions are also available in different formats both framed and unframed  here.



I previously wrote about July's moon being named a thunder moon by some people. We were certainly treated to a spectacular electrical storm that lasted many hours in the late afternoon and stretching into the night on Tuesday. The rain was very heavy as the sky lit up. I didn't venture out but watched for some time from inside. I imagine had I been on the cliff top I may have seen something akin to this as the torrential rain started to move in;



Sketchbook page  watercolour   ©2017LisaLeQuelenec




4 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Another beautiful moon. The sketchbook pages are wonderful - powerful and strong!! Glad you were safe inside in the storm, just imagining the scene from the clifftop :)

Chris Lally said...

"July's Moon" is a stunner, Lisa! It's as if I could fall into the painting and imagine myself sitting on the beach. It's really a beautiful piece.
As for the electrical storm, I'm glad you were able to enjoy the drama from a safe place. Great sketchbook page!!

Bruce Sherman said...

Good morning Lisa!.... A truly Debussy feeling and mood captured in this evocative watercolor "sonata". All of the peace and softness of this piece... is juxtoposed effectively with your imaginary visit cliffside in the storm. One is finite in execution... while the second provides infinite "possibility". Great work!

Warmest regards,
Bruce

PS We were treated to the very same heavenly symphony and a steady, torrential downpour which dumped 100 ml within twenty-four hours..... And I was out walking in it at its height. There is something soothing in being a part of that event... "just a silly 'ol bear" HA HA!!

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Hi Rhonda, thank you! I seem to using my sketchbooks more at the moment as I am having only smaller snatches of time. It can only be a good thing though.

Hi Chris, thank you. I love a storm but sometimes imagination is safer ;o)

Thank you Bruce. And WOW! That is a lot of rain! I think I must be a 'silly 'ol bear' too as I love being out in high wind and rain especially on the coast. It is a buzz to feel the elements sometimes...within reason of course. It is maybe fortunate that my little cub prefers to be inside looking out in such weather though. Whilst not scared of the lightening he wasn't such a big fan of the noise. Best wishes.