Wednesday 18 January 2012

First daffodil sketch of the season




I keep a sketchbook that I add to every year just for daffodil studies. I started because I had an aversion to painting yellow - I used to either get muddy non yellows or they looked so 'out of the tube' unnatural. Daffodils are a favourite flower of mine and I look forward to seeing the first blooms appear at the end of winter/beginning of spring. I see them as a promise of the warmer months to come and they brighten the darker greyer days.

 These two sketches are where I left off last year in my daffodil sketchbook. More can be seen in my flickr album here .

Below is the first sketch of them for 2012, I am aiming to do some acrylic paintings this year.



First daffodil sketch of the season.
A4 acrylic on paper

5 comments:

Bruce Sherman said...

Hi Lisa!... Love your idea about the use of a sketchbook dedicated to a single problem's solution! Great idea!!!

What a better way to face the icy fingers of Winter... than to play amongst..."a host of golden daffodils."

I love those "Daffies" as well! As gawky as they look.. they never fail to warm my heart!

Thanks for sharing!

Good Painting!
Warmest regards,
Bruce

Judy said...

They are beautiful! I love yellow daffodils, they are so cheerful, but I am struggling to paint them at the moment. Your sketchbook is a real inspiration!

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Hi Bruce, I've just visited your blog, it's nice to see you back. I hope you are feeling better now.

It's interesting to look back over the daff book and see how I've improved in drawing and use of media now that it's been going for a few years. The problem remains but I feel much closer to a solution now. One day... and probably a few sketchbooks later ;o)

Isn't nature amazing in the way it gives us little signs of hope like daffs and clemantines during it's darkest, coldest days? Or the new growth that comes fast after a fire. Best wishes.


Hi Judy, thank you. They are desparately difficult to paint aren't they? His Nibbs call them my nemesis lol. It's my annual challenge. I'm finding that there is something to be said for the repetition. Can't wait to see your daffs, I hope that you will post them.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Lovely sunny daffs, what a harbinger of spring. And to keep them all in one book is a good idea. It must be fun to look back over time and see the different interpretations of them.

Of course here daffodils are a long way off yet and with a snowstorm due tomorrow, I'll content myself to dream of spring looking at yours.

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Eeeek! Snowstorm!?! Snow looks beautiful but can cause such disruption. I guess you are all more used to it where you are but I do hope you can stay warm. I'll get some more sunny spring and summery picks on the go now ;o)